Smoothly performed lockings allow for better planning and less waiting times for inland navigation. The introduction of the DoRIS- supported electronic lock management system (LMS) marked a big step in improving and documenting lock operations. The challenges of the coming years lie in the expansion of this system (e.g. electronic reporting of cargos, international data exchange), in implementing state-of-the-art security systems and in pursuing further qualification of the lock personnel.
- Continually improve the organisational processes in lock operation (including the integration of River Information Services)
- Implement sustainable personnel management, focusing on health promotion, customer-orientation and linguistic skills
- Increase safety of the facility by means of targeted measures (cameras, lighting, surveillance systems, etc.)
- Discuss present issues of lock operation on international level
- Information on dangerous goods transports
- Improve lock safety
- Lock management in border sections
All activities are described together as part of Innovation and operation of locks.