Strengthening environmentally friendly and safe modes of transport, such as inland waterway transport, is one of the key objectives of the European and Austrian transport policy. This policy is reflected in a number of corresponding funding programmes.
Fleet modernising, new transhipment equipment or integrating inland navigation into transport chains - viadonau advises and supports shipping companies, ports, logistics service providers and the manufacturing industry in obtaining financial support for their inland waterway transport projects.
The most important programmes at a glance:
- The Aid programme to support the development of railway sidings and terminals of the intermodal transport supports the construction of transhipment facilities for intermodal road-rail-waterway transport.
- The Innovation aid programme for combined transport supports the development of the combined transport (modal shift towards environmentally friendly modes of transport).
- klimaaktiv mobil supports measures to reduce to traffic-related pollutants.
- The austria wirtschaftsservice offers securities for loans to finance working capital and fixed assets (aws Guarantee) and low interest loans for foundations as well as modernisation and growth measures (aws erp-Loan).
- The National environmental Aid scheme supports company-related traffic measures to reduce air pollution, climate-relevant pollutants, noise and waste.
- The Logistikförderung 2019 – 2023 of the BMK supports the development and implementation of innovative logistics concepts under the participation of the public sector for the enhancement of the competitiveness of the logistics sector and the attractiveness of locations as well as for the securing of social and ecologic sustainability.
An overview of available funding schemes for inland waterway transport is available in the European Online Database. Suitable funding schemes for research and innovation projects are available in the Förderkompass research support database (available only in German).