Inland and coastal shipping face great challenges with respect to a significant reduction of greenhouse-gas and air-pollutant emissions resulting from the requirements stipulated in the European Green Deal and the Taxonomy Regulation as well as the fact that improved environmental performance has become a feature of ever-increasing importance to the sector in order to remain competitive. SYNERGETICS is a Horizon Europe Innovation Action, a particularly application-oriented collaborative project looking at ways to reduce emissions in inland and coastal shipping through retrofit solutions. viadonau is involved as a project partner with extensive expertise in ship technology and the development of sustainable waterway management, and is providing a new pusher vessel as an object of study.
The project aims at bringing together the relevant knowledge from different sectors, in particular the waterborne one. This will be realized by creating synergies between the leading research institutions in the field of ship hydrodynamics and energy transition, innovation centres and shipping industry associations, shipbuilding industry, regulatory bodies, vessel owners, and technology providers, as well as between different European regions. The goal is the provision of a consistent catalogue of developed and ready to deploy retrofit solutions which would facilitate and accelerate the green transformation of inland vessels and coastal ships.
- demonstration of the potentials of retrofit technologies in greening the existing fleets by retrofitting four existing ships in the course of the project duration;
- demonstration of the potentials of hydrodynamic improvements in greening of the existing fleets;
- demonstration of the value of digital assets in greening the existing fleets;
- integration of the knowledge on shipping decarbonisation and air-pollutant emission reduction technologies with experience gained in the pilot projects and in the demonstrations performed within SYNERGETICS, and establishment of the Catalogue of Greening Solutions;
- provision of up-to-date Scenarios to Policy-Makers and the Handbook to Vessel Owners for an accelerated greening of inland and coastal shipping;
- acceleration of the uptake of the greening retrofit solutions by streamlining regulatory procedures;
- propagation of the use of the Catalogue, the Scenarios, and the Handbook developed within SYNERGETICS beyond Western Europe.
What will be demonstrated?
- hydrogen combustion in internal combustion engines;
- methanol combustion in internal combustion engines;
- innovative hydrodynamic improvements of the hull and the appendages;
- electrification of ships by means of hybridisation of the main propulsion system;
- electrification of ships by means of development of power management system for hybrid propulsion and onboard energy storage.
Project key data
SYNERGETICS responds to the Call “HORIZON-CL5-2022-D5-01-04: Transformation of the existing fleet towards greener operations through retrofitting (ZEWT Partnership)”.
Action: Innovation Action (Horizon Europe of the EU)
Total cost: 7 162 920.68 EUR
EU Funding: 4 184 312.03 EUR
Associated partners costs: 1 840 965.63 EUR (funded by UK and Swiss funding bodies)
DST – Entwicklungszentrum für Schiffstechnik und Transportsysteme e. V. (DE)
SPB – Stichting Projecten Binnenvaart (NL)
Argo-Anleg GmbH (DE)
Scandinaos AB (SE)
FPS – Future Proof Shipping (NL)
MARIN – Maritime Research Institute Netherlands (NL)
Mercurius Shipbuilding BV (NL)
viadonau – Österreichische Wasserstraßen-Gesellschaft mbH (AT)
ZES – Zero Emission Services (NL)
TTS – Transport Trade Services GmbH (AT)
Compagnie Fluviale de Transport (FR)
Kanzlei Anzböck (AT)
EUFRAK – Euroconsults Berlin GmbH (DE)
Koedood Diesel Service BV (NL)
CRS – Croatian Register of Shipping (HR)
CMB – Revolve Technologies Ltd. (UK)
OST – Ostschweizer Fachhochschule (CH)
Contact data (DST)
DST – Entwicklungszentrum für Schiffstechnik und Transportsysteme e. V.