In the 1970s and 1980s several meanders were cut off from the Thaya, shortening the course of the river by 3.2 kilometres. At the same time, the Thaya flood protection was constructed on both river banks along the border stretch between Austria and the Czech Republic.
Objective of this project was the reconnection of the two Thaya meanders D18 (on the Austrian side of the river) and D9 (on the Czech side). Both meanders will be integrated into the flow regime of the Thaya, thus creating dynamic natural river bank areas. These measures will lengthen the river course by 900 metres. Furthermore, the existing break through zones are being restored and renaturalised.
Due to the fact that the state border between Austria and the Czech Republic runs along the river axis, changes in the course of the Thaya would result in changes of the border demarcation. In order to not change the state border but still re-integrate the two meanders, an innovative planning procedure was necessary.
- funding approval: end of 2017
- start of construction works: October 2018
- project completion: December 2021
In August 2018 construction works for the re-integration of two meanders started. The longest meanders both on the Austrian (meander 18) and the Czech side (meander 9) shall lengthen the course of the Thaya by 900 metres. Works started on the Austrian side at meander 18 in the municipal territory of Bernhardsthal. In this area about 8,500 cubicmetres material was removed. Since February 2019 the meander is again part of the course of the Thaya. The construction works in the second meander on the Czech side in the municipal territory of Rabensburg are scheduled to be finalised in autumn 2019. The duration of the project was extended to the End of 2021 due to study and monitoring reasons and for execution of follow-up planning.
- Lead partner: Czech administration for hydraulic engineering
- CZ project partner: Výzkumný ústav vodohospodářský T.G. Masaryka
- AT project partner: viadonau, Federal Environmental Administration and Nationalpark Thayatal GmbH
- Strategic CZ project partner: Národní park Podyjí
- Strategic AT project partner: Province of Lower Austria
01.05.2016 - 31.12.2021
Total project volume: 1,756,834 EUR
share of viadonau: 900,000 EUR (thereof 578,000 EUR INTERREG co-funding)
The project makes a substantial contribution to the implementation of measure
17. Execute restoration measures implementing the EU Water Framework Directive of the Action Programme for the Danube 2022.