The project included the following main activities:
- Preparation of coordinated ship waste management concepts on national level
- Implementation of pilot activities for the collection and disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous ship waste
- Creation of a basis for the elaboration and implementation of an international financing model for oily and greasy ship waste
- Promotion of cross border communication and knowledge transfer through harmonistation activities
9 partners from 7 countries (AT, SK, HU, HR, SRB, RO, BG) were involved in the WANDA project. To harmonise the preparation and implementation of the project activities different coordination mechanisms like expert networks, feedback processes and workshops including participants from the Danube Commission (DC) and Central Commission for Navigation on the Rhine (CCNR) were established.
The project WANDA (2009 - 2012) aimed at concerted development and exemplary implementation of preventive measures to ensure a sustainable, environmentally sound and transnationally coordinated approach in ship waste management along the Danube. In cross-border coordination stepwise a capable ship waste management system along the Danube needs to be established.
- International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River (ICPDR)
- Danube Commission (DC)
- Central Commission for the Navigation of the Rhine (CCNR)
- Water- and Shipping Directorate South (WSD-Süd)
- International Sava River Basin Commission
- Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology (bmvit)
- via donau - Austrian Waterway Company
- VUVH - Water Research Institute Bratislava
- KTI – Institute for Transportation Sciences Non Profit Ltd.
- RSOE - National Association of Radio Distress-Signaling & Info communication
- PAV – Public Institution Port Authority Vukovar
- PLOVPUT – Directorate for Inland Waterways
- APDM – National Company Maritime Danube Ports Administration Galati
- APDF - National Company Administration of Danube River Ports J.S.Co Giurgiu
- EAEMDR - Executive Agency for Exploration and Maintenance of the Danube River – Russe
WANDA was funded by the South East Europe Transnational Cooperation Programme (SEE) of the European Union.
Please find more information about ship waste management on the homepage of the follow up project CO-WANDA!