The new riverbed of the Traisen received an ecologically valuable delta area along a stretch of 9.4 km, including morphological dynamics, extensive lowerings of the surrounding area and numerous newly established standing water bodies. After the groundbreaking on 01.07.2013 and the flooding of the sections “Mitte West” and “Mitte Ost”, the “Weingartlwasser” was linked to the Danube at the end of 2015. In the course of the conversion of the Traisen delta the intensively used Danube cycle track had to be relocated.
The construction works were completed in autumn 2016; the project was thus concluded earlier than planned. The completion of the construction works was celebrated in October 2016 in the course of a project conclusion ceremony.
Further information can be found under: www.life-traisen.at
- Lead partner:
VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH
- Associated partners:
January 2009 – December 2016 (originally scheduled: end of 2019)
Overall costs ca. 26 Mio. EUR
(ca. 5.3 Mio. EUR LIFE+ funding)
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) permit: 24.04.2012
- Groundbreaking: 01.07.2013
- Flooding of the first section of the new Traisen: July 2014
- Completion of the cyclist bridge: January 2016
- Completion of construction works: autumn 2016
The project made a substantial contribution to the implementation of measure
17. Execute restoration measures implementing the EU Water Framework Directive of the Action Programme for the Danube 2022.