Besides agriculture, navigation can also contribute to increased levels of contaminants in waters by unlawfully discharging waste, such as bilge water, lubricants or used oil. Apart from any resulting deterioration of water quality, solid wastes (e.g. residual waste or plastic containers) can impair the ecosystem as well. Austria has already taken important steps towards improving the waste disposal infrastructure, for example by installing waste collection points at locks. The coming years´ objective is the development and joint implementation of harmonised concepts for the avoidance and disposal of ship waste along the entire Danube.
- Develop and implement technical and organisational solutions for the management of ship waste in the Danube region
- Collaborate in the development of a Danube-specific Ship Waste Convention
- Prepare Austria’s accession to a future International Danube Ship Waste Convention
- Establish infrastructure for waste collection in Austria
- Create and promote awareness for the avoidance and disposal of waste
|Developed solutions and progress in ship waste management||viadonau||Research institutions, ports, waterway agencies in the Danube region, Austrian Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology (bmvit), Transport, Environmental and Foreign Ministries of Danube riparian states|